Monday, January 4, 2010

You as Poet!

There is a mystery that will awe you waiting at your fingertips for you to discover it - it's the writing of poems. This past week I've been infecting people with the itch to write their own poems. I know they're hiding inside of everyone, maybe a little shy, but there all the same. Anyone can write a poem - they're so accessible! Yes, they're waiting inside you too.

You can write one anywhere - in a cafe, on the bus, while waiting for a meeting to start, in bed (I write many of mine from that quiet sanctuary). 
You can write a poem on anything - in a notebook or on the back of a restaurant receipt. On a napkin or on the fly-leaf of a book (if it's your book!). You can write a poem while on the bus, or in the kitchen, or in a waiting room. You can write it on any subject you please, on the mundane or the profound, the every day or the unique. You can choose a personal perspective or a global one. Where else do you get to be so totally in command?!

Yup. A poem a day invites the Holy into your life too. Are you up for it?
Try it out and let me know how it goes - I love to read or hear other people's poetry. It takes me into a world I might never visit if not for their poem, and that's a precious gift indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment