Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Here's a quote to fill you up! (from When God Was a Rabbit, by Sarah Winman)

'Do you believe in God, Arthur?' I said, eating the last piece of sponge.
       'Do I believe in an old man in the clouds with a white beard judging us mortals from one to ten? Good Lord no, my sweet Elly, I do not! I would have been cast out from this life years ago with my tatty history. Do I believe in a mystery; the unexplained phenomenon that is life itself? The greater something that illuminates inconsequence in our lives; that gives us something to strive for as well as the humility to brush ourselves down and start all over again? Then yes, I do. It is the source of art, of beauty, of love, and proffers the ultimate goodness to mankind. That to me is God. That to me is life. That is what I believe in.'
        I listened to the bell again, whispering across the waves, calling, calling. I licked my fingers and scrunched the tin foil up into a ball.
       'Do you think a rabbit could be God?' I ask casually.
       'There is absolutely no reason at all why a rabbit should not be God.'

Ellie is eleven, Arthur is a gay man, an older friend of the family, and of Ellie's - obviously! They are out in the boat; Ellie is teaching him to fish. When Ellie was six she outraged a clergy person at church by suggesting Jesus was an unplanned pregnancy. This fellow tells her that God cannot love anyone who questions His Divine Plan. (hah! - isn't that who God loves most?) Ellie carries this painful "truth"  - that God cannot love her - alone. Her brother gives her a rabbit....  the rest you'll have to find out by reading this amazing book!

No comments:

Post a Comment