Friday, March 2, 2012

Loving the ones who try to protect me

A few weeks ago I listened to the forecast - rain. Rain! It's not supposed to rain in the mountains in February! "Yuck," says I. "Give me snow, beautiful snow." You know how they say - be careful what you ask for!

Got up the next morning and there it was - snow, about 4" or 10 cm. Yay!  I decided to get the shoveling done right away. Did it, all the steps (3 sets), the walks, the top of the driveway by the house, making enough room for my neighbour to bring in his tractor and plow me out. Cleared around the big gate too - wanted to make that easy for him to get it open. When he's got a pile of driveways to plow, he doesn't have time to waste messing with my iced-up gate...
An hour later, feeling virtuous, I headed back inside, knowing I was ready to drive out to the Shrove Tuesday pancake supper at the church that evening, where they'd be counting on my help.

Then it snowed some more. I wasn't really paying attention. Until I went outside with my gear, nightgown and toothbrush in my backpack - just in case I couldn't make it back up my hill later that night.  Oops! I really hadn't been paying attention. Now the snow was 8 inches deep in my access road. No way I was going anywhere! So I shoveled all over again, made my own pancake supper, and settled in for a cozy evening at home....  Secretly wondering - was I just being a wimp about taking on the deep snow in my access road?

The next day my neighbour laughed at me even thinking of trying to drive out. hmmm  -  another lesson in trusting my wise self. Yes, I really did know what made sense. I find it fascinating how many parts of me are ready to come up with "good reasons" for not listening to my own intuition, wisdom, gut-knowing. How old are these voices! Too old to align with who I am now. Still I know I need to honour them - in my childhood they were what kept me safe from adult censure, scary situations, and all kinds of unknown dangers. Honour them and let them know - that was then and this is now. In the "now" I am the one who makes the world safe for me. I've got it covered.




No comments:

Post a Comment