Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shadows and Light

I've been hearing from friends who are puzzled as to why I would encourage others to check out The Hunger Games (see my Facebook post Saturday Mar 17, Tuesday Mar 20).  In case you're not familiar with it - this soon to be released film (made by Canada's Lionsgate), is based on the first book of a trilogy written for young adults, by Suzanne Collins. The story follows a young intelligent, thoughtful, courageous teen as she faces  oppression in her post-apocalyptic world. And yes, there's violence.

So what would draw me to read a post-apocalyptic story about violence and oppression?  Years ago, I read The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. Yeah, Gyllian, and why did you read that one? Well may you ask!

I had read previous books by McCarthy. I found his style, his characters, his themes satisfying and intriguing. This one gave me pause because it promised to be bleak but... on the cover one reviewer spoke of "the power of redemptive love".  I was hooked. 

And I read to the end because I wasn't willing to give up until I found that reviewer's light in the dark. It was powerful, haunting, and those images of a violent and cold-hearted future have lingered in my imagination ever since. So much so that I have regretted reading it!  I found no hope in The Road; for me the 'redemptive love' McCarthy wrote of was not enough to neutralize the horror of a future world, built on fear and violence, mainly bereft of compassion, tenderness, and generosity.

Thus in the last few years, I am magnetized to books that deal with a post-apocalyptic future AND give me hope. The Road did not.  I'm looking for that which will. I want hope.

I want visions of humanity managing to rise above our own frightened, grasping hearts, having the courage to love and care about others. I want to hear how we do have the courage to believe not only are we capable of being bright lights in the world... we are determined to choose to be the light in the face of fear, death, and destruction!


Today I'm off to the library to get a copy of the book - we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment